Faculty Assembly Bylaws
Florida Atlantic University Libraries Faculty Assembly
November 22, 2005
Revised April 26, 2006
Revised January 13, 2012
Revised June 12, 2014
Revised December 15, 2015
Revised December 12, 2016
Section I. Functions
1. Matters of general faculty interest including hiring and promotion, merit raises, travel allocations, Library and University governance, and service on University committees.
1. Administrative matters of general library interest including budget, physical facilities, and planning.
Section II. Membership
1. All library faculty whose salary is supported by the FAU Libraries.
1. All library faculty holding the rank of University, Associate, Assistant, and Instructor.
2. The Dean shall be an ex officio non-voting member.
Section III. Officers and Election
1. The Chair shall be responsible for the following and for such other duties as are appropriate to the office:
a. The Chair serves as the faculty representative to the Dean and to the Library Administration.
b. The Chair shall attend the Dean's weekly staff meeting.
c. The Chair will be included on the Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee.
d. The Chair shall preside over Faculty Assembly meetings.
e. The Chair shall call and administer all votes taken during meetings of the Faculty Assembly.
f. The Chair shall call for nominations for officers and committee members.
g. The Chair shall distribute meeting notices and agendas.
h. The Chair is an Ex Officio Member of the University Faculty Senate (per their Bylaws).
1. The Vice-Chair shall be responsible for the following and for such other duties as are appropriate to the office:
a. The Vice-Chair shall preside over Faculty Assembly meetings and carry out the duties of the Chair in the absence of the Chair.
b. The Vice-Chair is responsible for the minutes of all meetings and shall distribute them to each general member.
c. The Vice Chair will serve as secretary to the Faculty Assembly.
d. The Vice-Chair shall distribute and collect ballots for voting on amendments and for the election of officers, and election of committee members.
e. The Vice-Chair shall maintain the records of the Faculty Assembly.
1. The term is one calendar year beginning on the first day of January, and the Chair and Vice-Chair shall serve no more than two consecutive terms.
2. The Vice-Chair will automatically roll into the position of Chair at the end of the Chair's term.
3. If the Chair is unable to fulfill the term of office, the Vice-Chair shall assume the position of Chair until December 31st.
4. Elections will be held for a new Vice-Chair each year.
a. The Chair shall call for nomination for the Vice Chair on or by November 1st.
b. The Chair shall call for nominations for the Library Faculty Committees on or by November 1st and for the University Senate Committees on or by February 1st.
a. Ballots shall be accessible for two weeks from the time they are made available.
b. Elections shall be by majority vote of the ballots returned.
c. The Vice-Chair shall distribute and collect ballots for voting on amendments, and for the election of officers, and election of committee members.
d. If paper ballots are used, the Dean's Advisory Committee, presided over by the Library Faculty Assembly Chair, shall count the ballots.
Section IV. Meetings
1. The Chair shall determine the order of business for each meeting when preparing the agenda. Items on the agenda will include but are not limited to:
a. Call to order.
b. Approval of minutes.
d. Reports from committees.
e. Report from the Dean's Advisory Committee.
f. Report from the Union Steward.
g. Report from the Dean.
1. The Chair shall call special meetings when needed or on petition of 25% of the voting membership.
Section V. Support
1. Chair of the Assembly
a.Such support shall include a 10% allocation of time in the Letter of Assignment.
2. Vice Chair
a. Such support shall include a 5% allocation of time in the Letter of Assignment.
3. Operational Expenses
a. The Faculty Assembly shall receive adequate funding for all operational expenses.
Section VI. Library Faculty Committees
1. Library Faculty Committee terms shall be extended only by approval of the Library Faculty Assembly.
2. The Chair will appoint members to an ad hoc or special committee, as needed.
3. The current standing Library Faculty Committees are: Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee, Promotion Committee, Bylaws Committee, and Promotion Criteria Committee.
4. Bylaw's Committee (five members), two-year terms with staggered terms.
5. Promotion Criteria Committee (four or five members): each member serves a two-year staggered term, with at least one member at the Associate University Librarian rank or higher.
6. Dean's Faculty Advisory Committee (minimum of three maximum of five, plus current Chair and Vice-Chair who are automatically members). Members will serve a two-year term.
a. This committee shall advise the Dean on matters such as, but not limited to, market equity, merit, and travel allocations.
Section VII. University Committees
1. University Faculty Senate
a. The Chair will call for nominations and preside over elections of two members to the University Faculty Senate.
2. Faculty Senate Committees
a. The Chair will call for nominations and preside over elections of members to University Faculty Senate Committees.
3. Other University Committees.
a. The Chair will call for nominations and preside over elections of members to other University Committees.
Section VIII. Amendments
Section IX. Procedural Authority
Section X. Bylaws Document Maintenance
|FAU Home Page | FAU Libraries Home Page | FAU Libraries Electronic Collection | FAU Libraries Catalog|
Libraries Web Team
This page is maintained by: FAU Libraries Web Manager
Last updated 25 July 2014 Florida Atlantic University All rights reserved
(Library image www.arttoday.com)